10.29.14: Polling The Pollsters, The Early Days Of Playboy Centerfolds, & The Film: "Laggies"
When an unrecognizable number shows up on your phone during election season, chances are pretty good that the caller is someone taking a poll. On today’s show, turning the tables on pollsters. We’ll find out how they view polling accuracy and ethics for Election 2012.
Also today, the aging bunnies – a group of Playboy centerfold models now in their 60s and 70s, reject the idea that they victimized, and remember a more tasteful time for the men’s magazine.
Listen to the full show and click Read more for individual segments.
Polling the Pollsters
- Carl Bialik is FiveThirtyEight’s lead writer for news, and author of a series of articles on data gathered from the people who gather that data.
- You can read the results of the first two questionnaires, here and here.
A View From the Centerfold
- In an article for New York Magazine, senior editor Noreen Malone takes a look back with a few of the centerfolds from the early days of Playboy magazine.
- You can see--safe for work--photos of the centerfolds, then and now by following the link to her article: The View From a Centerfold.
Feet of Engineering
- In this episode of 99% Invisible, Roman Mars and Avery Trufelman investigate the unusual design behind what’s often regarded as the most alluring, if undeniably uncomfortable, shoe: the high heel.
- You can listen to this story again at 99percentinvisible.org.
Hedy Lamarr's Greatest Achievement
- Hedy Lamarr was an Austrian-born American actress best known for her arresting beauty, and a few risqué roles early in her career. Her biggest Hollywood success came in 1949, with the release of Cecil B. Demille’s Samson and Delilah, but Hedy’s greatest achievement had nothing to do with the silver screen. Producer Eric Molinsky brings us the story.
- You can listen to this story again at studio360.org.
- Film producer Alix Madigan discusses her new film Laggies. We've got the trailer for the film, below.