10 Things To Do in N.H. This Weekend: Tall Ships, ATVs in Berlin, Crafts Fair at Sunapee
August is here, so start prioritizing your summer fun. Here are 10 (plus) cool things to do in New Hampshire this weekend. Visit NHPR's community calendar for more events, shows, music, arts. And submit your own events.
- The Tall Ships have come in: Sail Portsmouth and the Piscataqua Maritime Commission's "parade of sails" Thursday featured the U.S. Coast Guard's Eagle, The Roseway, and The Lynx. The Eagle is docked at the state pier on Market Street, and there are free tours Friday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- It's time for one of the oldest craft fairs in the USA: The 86th annual League of N.H. Craftsmen's Fair begins Saturday, Aug. 2, at Mount Sunapee Resort in Newbury, N.H. It runs through Aug. 11. Arts, jewelry, blacksmiths, and crafts galore, plus demonstrations, live music, food, activities. Here's a video of glassblower Jordana Korsen:
- Off-Road Fun: The 10th annual Jericho ATV Festival is in Berlin, N.H., from Aug. 2-3. It's "all about the mud," as the Androscoggin Valley Chambers celebrates it.
- Vintage Cars: The Vintage Racing Stable Car Show is Sunday, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., at 200 March Road in Sanbornton. This car and motorcycle show benefits the Boys & Girls Club of the Lakes region.
- Find the Gorge After Dark: The Lost River Gorge has guided evening lantern tours - which start at 8 p.m. Reservations are needed in advance.
- Folk Music Icon in N.H.: Arlo Guthrie plays Saturday, Aug. 3, at 7:30 p.m. at the Flying Monkey in Plymouth.
- Patrick Marber's Closer at 3S Artspace: Rolling Die Productions and 3S Artspace present Patrick Marber's "Closer" play, Aug. 2-11. Directed by Todd Hunter. Visit 3SArtspace for more information and events.
- LEZ ZEPPELIN in Concord: The first female rock band to pay homage to Led Zeppelin performs Friday, Aug. 2, at the Bank of NH Stage. Show begins at 8 p.m. Ticket info and more events at the Capitol Center for the Arts. Bonus plug for CCANH: Lyle Lovett and His Large Band plays the Chubb Theatre at 8 p.m. Saturday, and Soule Monde plays the Bank of NH Stage at 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Hood Highlights Tour: Join Jami Powell, associate curator of Native American Art, to discover works in the collect at the Hood Museum of Art in Hanover. NHPR community calendar details: Saturday, Aug. 3, 2-3 p.m. Free.
- King of Six-String Indie Folk: Kurt Vile performs Sunday, Aug. 4, 7-10 p.m., at the Prescott Park Arts Festival in Portsmouth. Listen to Vile's "Loading Zones" video below:
- Rock on Fest - Downtown Concord - The fifth annual Rock On Fest presented by Dartmouth-Hitchcock, with activities and events spanning from 8 a.m. (outdoor spinning) to 7:30 p.m. (Baby FuzZ - music) and an outdoor movie at 8:45 p.m. Don't miss the hoops ... and maybe that roller derby demo.