This is where you'll find all the new & noteworthy books you hear about on Morning Edition, Fresh Air, All Things Considered and weekend programming. Look for the I Read It On NHPR display at Gibson's Bookstore, 45 S. Main Street, Concord NH
Village Names, Unincorporated Towns, & Civics 101
1 of 3
2 of 3
Clocktower in Hancock, NH
3 of 3
Bob Fogg winding the clock in Hancock
Every New Hampshire town has a past - though not always remembered with pride. This week on the show, we explore the stuff you might not see on a postcard. Like how unincorporated places function...no town government? No rules? Plus, we’ll talk to Howard Mansfield about opening our eyes to the extraordinary revelations that live side by side with ordinary village life. Join us as we dig into the habits, histories, hidden gems of small town life.
- You Asked, We Answered: Why Are So Many N.H. Towns Split Up Into Villages? Producer Molly Donahue answers an Only in NH question with some help from Andrew Cushing, a Field Service Representative for the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance.
- What are the legal standings of all of these villages? Former Portsmouth City Attorney Peter Loughlin explains.
- You Asked We Answered: Can You Get Away with Murder in N.H.'s Unincorporated Towns? An Only in NH question from our Digital Director Rebecca Lavoie sent Hannah McCarthy in search of some legal answers.
- Virginia talked to Howard Mansfield about his new book, Summer Over Autumn: A Small Book of Small-Town Life.
- Civics 101: State of Emergency