WebHeader_Grove.png
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Purchase your tickets for a chance to win $25k toward a new car or $20k in cash during NHPR's Summer Raffle!
NH News

Resort Owner in Hampton Beach Calls on State to Remove Legionnaires' Notices

Sands_Resort1_tuohy.JPG
Dan Tuohy / NHPR
/

 

The owner of The Sands Resort in Hampton Beach wants the state of New Hampshire to remove notices warning of Legionnaires' disease.

Tom Saab said Wednesday there is no reason for the notices to still be posted because water tests show the property's facilities are clean of the bacteria. He says 43 test results have come back negative for the Legionella bacteria.

"It's a communitywide event, it's not just the Sands," Saab said, NBC Boston reported.

The state Department of Health and Human Services previously said the bacteria was found in multiple places in the resort's water system, including the hot tub spa.

Fourteen people were confirmed to have contracted Legionnaires' disease between July and August. One person died, the state announced Aug. 31.

A spokesman for the state department has not responded to a request for comment.

 
 

You make NHPR possible.

NHPR is nonprofit and independent. We rely on readers like you to support the local, national, and international coverage on this website. Your support makes this news available to everyone.

Give today. A monthly donation of $5 makes a real difference.