The Future Of Ski Expansion at Mount Sunapee
The state-owned park is beloved for both its mountain and lake. But the private company that owns the ski operation has long wanted to expand. Now, the state has given preliminary approval, setting off a process of review and hearings and raising a larger conversation about balancing natural beauty with economic development.
- Tom Elliott – longtime Mount Sunapee conservation activist and former executive director of Friends of Mount Sunapee. He opposes the Mount Sunapee expansion plan.
- Frank McConnell – co-founder of the Citizens for Mount Sunapee’s Future, and owner of Skinner’s Ski Shop. He supports the expansion plan.
- Nate Miller – executive director of the Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Commission.
- Jack Savage – Vice President of communications and outreach at the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests. The Forest Society has neither supported nor opposed the expansion plan.
- NHPR report on DRED's draft decision about the expansion plan
- Commissioner Rose's draft decision on the Mount Sunapee Resort Plan
- Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Committee comments on the proposed plan
- Forest Society statement on DRED Mount Sunapee draft decision
- Pro-Sunapee expansion editorial in the Union Leader
- Anti-Sunapee expansion editorial in the Concord Monitor