Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Donate your vehicle and help support local, independent journalism today!

Manchester Man Arrested, Accused of Shooting Two Police Officers

Updated at 4:25 PM:

Manchester police have arrested 32 year-old Ian MacPherson on two counts of attempted capital murder following Friday morning's shooting of two police officers.

At a press conference, law enforcement officials identified the two injured officers as 27 year-old Ryan Hardy and 28 year-old Matthew O'Connor.

Associate Attorney General Jane Young says Hardy initially approached McPherson at 2 AM based on a description from an earlier robbery at a gas station. Hardy was then shot in the face and torso. A little more than 20 minutes later, O'Connor approached the subject and asked him to stop. He was then shot in the leg and returned fire, but the suspect fled.

Around 5 AM, police reported seeing a male with long hair and beard in the area around Bartlett Street and arrested him for resisting detention.

MacPherson is now being held at Valley Street Jail. His arraignment is scheduled for Monday in Manchester.

Officer Hardy is in stable condition in a Boston hospital. According to Chief Willard of the Manchester PD, Hardy joined the force in 2015. 

Officer Matthew O’Connor was treated at a local hospital and released. He joined the Manchester police in 2014. 

12:06 PM:

Police have lifted a shelter in place order in West Manchester where two police officers were shot early this morning.

In an interview with WMUR TV, Chief Willard of the Manchester Police Department says he's confident the city is now safe, but does not reveal whether or not the suspect has been taken into custody, citing a "fluid investigation."

Friday morning:

Two Manchester police officers were shot early Friday morning and a search for an armed suspect is underway on the city's west side."About 2 o'clock in the morning in the area of Ferry Street and 2nd Street, an officer was shot. He is currently in stable condition at an area hospital," Police Chief Nick Willard said at a press conference. "Shortly thereafter, there was another incident in the area of Putnam and Debuke Street in which a second officer was shot."

Both officers were hospitalized, though their injuries are not considered life threatening.

Police have ordered a shelter-in-place for residents in the area, as they search for a suspect described as a white male, with long hair, wearing a trench coat.

Schools in the area - West High School, Gossler Park School, Northwest Elementary School, Parker-Varney School and Parkside Middle School - have been closed for the day.

Catholic Medical Center will have limited access to all visitors until further notice.

A kickoff event for a $1 million renovation of the Michael Briggs Community Center has been postponed.

Michael serves as NHPR's Program Director. Michael came to NHPR in 2012, working as the station's newscast producer/reporter. In 2015, he took on the role of Morning Edition producer. Michael worked for eight years at The Telegraph of Nashua, covering education and working as the metro editor.

You make NHPR possible.

NHPR is nonprofit and independent. We rely on readers like you to support the local, national, and international coverage on this website. Your support makes this news available to everyone.

Give today. A monthly donation of $5 makes a real difference.