NHPR: NH Press Association Contest 2020 - Digital Presence
NHPR's entry in this category reflects several ambitious, multi-media/digital reporting projects, some of which were a long time in planning. But an unprecedented series of events in 2020 - the global pandemic, a divisive election, and uprisings around racial injustice - challenged us to pivot again and again, often to digital-first journalism designed to shine a light on these events and inform our audience.
This entry includes digital work in the following categories:
Digital Journalism, Engagement, Social Media, Podcasts
Special projects and series:
- By Degrees: A climate change reporting project focused on stories of resilience and struggle, innovation and compromise, and of big change happening before our eyes
- Lifelines: A series on trauma in the time of COVID-19
- COVID & The Classroom: An ongoing reporting project about how Granite Staters are balancing the demands and necessity of remote schooling with the realities of life in the pandemic
- ¿Qué Hay de Nuevo, New Hampshire? A new Spanish language news service (available online and via WhatsApp)
- New Hampshire Calling: A live, nightly, pop-up radio show offering a forum for listeners to share how they were doing in the early days of the pandemic
- 2020: A year in New Hampshire news
Digital-first stories and digital features:
- How Do the 2020 Democrats' Climate Change Plans Compare?
- 2020 Census: How and Why to Get Counted in N.H.
- ‘The System Needs to Go:’ N.H. Black Lives Matter Activists Call Out Police, Elected Officials
- Inside New Hampshire's Secret List of Troubled Cops
- 'The Queen of Hanover Hill': The Human Toll of N.H.’s Nursing Home Outbreaks
- Under Open Skies And At A Distance, Newly-Elected State Lawmakers Meet For The First Time
COVID-19 digital resources and digital-first stories:
N.H. COVID-19 Data Tracker: An online data resource (launched in spring 2020 and updated daily) tracking cases, vaccines, hospitalizations, deaths and other metrics, across New Hampshire
- Follow the Money: Who Got Paycheck Protection Program Loans in New Hampshire?
- How Are New Hampshire Hospitals Weathering the Pandemic?
- What We Know About Coronavirus Contact Tracing In New Hampshire
- When It Comes to Defining 'Essential' Businesses, N.H. Casts A Wide Net
- As COVID-19 Shifts Life Routines in N.H., Patterns of Death Change, Too
- NHPR Analysis: Despite Calls For More, Rate Of Coronavirus Testing In N.H. Remains Flat
- One N.H. Nursing Home Has Been Battling COVID-19 Since May. It Was On Watchdogs' Radar Long Before
- How to Find Connections and Community While Practicing Social Distancing in N.H.
Live digital coverage:
- Daily Coronavirus Live Blog (see "earlier entries" link for stories beginning in March, 2020.
- Election 2020 Live Blog
- Daily Coronavirus Newsletter
- Primarily Politics Newsletter
- The Exchange Newsletter
- Civics 101 "Extra Credit" Newsletter
FAQs and engagement (all first published in 2020, several updated regularly to present day)
- NHPR Wants To Hear From You: What Are Your Questions About Coronavirus?
- What You Need To Know About Coronavirus In New Hampshire (English version)
- Guía De Votación COVID-19: Cómo Votar Durante Una Pandemia En New Hampshire (Spanish language version)
- Your Guide to Coronavirus Vaccines in New Hampshire
- FAQs On New N.H. Unemployment Requirements: Do You Qualify?
- FAQs: How Can N.H.'s Small Businesses Access Federal COVID-19 Funds?
- 2020 Elections Guide: How To Vote In New Hampshire, Whether You're Voting Absentee Or At The Polls
- Corky Messner And Jeanne Shaheen Square Off On NHPR's U.S. Senate Debate (originally broadcast via Facebook Live)
- Elevator Pitch: Cory Booker On Why He Should Be President
- 2020 Candidate Forum With Sen. Cory Booker (originally broadcast via Facebook Live)