2018 Murrows Entry - Overall Excellence
You can listen to the audio entry below or refer to the file included with the submission.
In the last year, NHPR tried hard to fulfill our mission to be a truly statewide news organization. We took listeners to distant corners of the state, and to often-overlooked corners of their own communities. Above all, we challenged ourselves to capture the voices of people whose stories aren’t usually heard on the radio.
Our journalists reported from sleepy summer camps and tense parole board hearings. We reported on the state’s growing ATV economy and its faded manufacturing past. We took listeners on a ride in a lumber truck across the Canadian border, into emergency rooms struggling with opioid addiction, and into a ghost town deep in the White Mountains.
We examined sensitive national issues through a local lens, including racial tensions in several New Hampshire communities, controversy over police shootings, and the legacy of sexual harassment in our politics. We also spent a lot of time outdoors: with rampaging bears and vibrating beetles, beaver trappers and synchronized swimmers.
We launched an ambitious new series, Civics 101, a radio segment and podcast that reintroduces the basics of U.S. politics to listeners looking to bone up on the fundamentals of democracy. Our podcast Outside/In reported on the conflict over a critical energy source far north of the border. And we deepened our commitment to reporting on New Hampshire’s ongoing opioid crisis, perhaps the most critical issue shaping the state’s future.
We believe our work over the past year captures the variety of life in New Hampshire -- challenging, informing and surprising our audience -- and we’re proud to submit it for consideration for the Murrow Award in Overall Excellence.
- How Do N.H. Police Decide To Shoot - Or Not Shoot - When Facing Armed, Ill, Or Addicted People?
- Is Racism An Issue In Claremont? It Depends Whom You Ask
- When Crimes Happen at School, N.H. Law Doesn't Require Parental Notification
- How One Man Spent 575 Days (and $43,000 in Tax Dollars) In Jail For Trespassing
- Doctors Consider Ethics Of Costly Heart Surgery For People Addicted To Opioids
- As Rural Doctor Surrenders License, Patients Wonder: "Where Am I Supposed to Go?"
- The Secret, Bizarre World of Insect Vibration Language
- You Asked, We Answered: What’s the Deal with this New Hampshire Ghost Town?
- Meet a Swim Team Worth Cheering For: The Synchro Sisters
- Talking Trump at the Shelburne Dump
- When “Live Free or Die” met SCOTUS
- How Trade Policy Could Squeeze the Air Out of N.H. Bagpipe Business
- This Low-Cost, High-Level Soccer Club Turns Competition Into Opportunity
- Morning Edition: Sexual Harassment at the New Hampshire Statehouse
- On The Exchange: New Hampshire’s Transportation Infrastructure
- Civics 101 Podcast - Episode 1: What Does the White House Chief of Staff Do?
- Outside/In Podcast – Powerline Series, Part 1
- Newscast: 11-09-17 – Morning Edition, 7:04 AM
Digital & Multimedia
NHPR.org reflects the collective goals shared by our content teams: To ensure our digital content is singular, that it embodies best editorial practices, and that it is continuously evolving as a result of our newsroom's culture of innovation and experimentation.
The content linked below represents the breadth and diversity of our digital work.
Post from RICOH THETA. - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA
Click and drag to a 360 photo of the inside of New Hampshire's State House dome, taken as part of our digital-first series Roll Call: Life in the NH State House.
Digital-First Multimedia Stories:
- Women Lobbyists, Legislators Describe Coping with Harassment at N.H. State House
- Harassment at the N.H. State House: What We Know
- Not Just the Trump Commission: Political Parties and Data Firms Already Get N.H. Voters' Data
- How N.H. Tries to Guard Against 'Fraud' On Election Day
- N.H. Ethics Committee Has Fielded Dozens Of Complaints, But Issued No Violations
- A 139-Word Story Sparks A Firestorm of Criticism for N.H. Freelancer
- Senate Bill 3 Gets Its First Test Tuesday: Here's an Overview
- From Courts to the Environment, Sununu Stands to Make His Mark Through Nominations
Digital-First Multimedia Series:
- Only in NH
- Alternatives: NH Gets Creative Around Opioid Crisis
- Off-Road: ATVs & NH
- Surrounded: Stories from NH's Islands
- Roll Call: Life in the NH State House (Features 360 elements)
- Questions of Justice: Reporting From NH’s Prisons
- On the Line: Manufacturing in NH
- Crossroad: NH's Opioid Crisis
- Breaking Down the House: An Interactive Demographic Map of the N.H. Legislature
- 2018-2019 N.H. Budget: Where the Governor and the House Differ
- Where Were Out-of-State IDs Used to Vote in New Hampshire Last November?
- Governor Sununu's Budget Address: An Annotated Transcript
- Right-To-Work: A New Hampshire Explainer
- For State Lawmakers Who Put in the Miles, Reimbursement Checks Can Really Add Up
Programs & Podcasts: