Lawyers for a New Hampshire woman who won a $560 million Powerball game drawing in January 2018 went to court to remain anonymous. She signed the back of her ticket, which means her identity will be public under state law, according to the New Hampshire Lottery.
UPDATE, March 12, 2018: Judge Rules Powerball winner 'Jane Doe' Can Remain Anonymous
Seven of the top 12 Lottery jackpots won in New Hampshire were claimed by trusts. Here is the list, sorted by date, with the first 11 being Powerball tickets:
- Dean Leighton of Chester, N.H., won $51 million (annuity option) on March 30, 1996. Ticket sold at Sandy's Variety in Manchester.
- Mary and Jason Sanderson of Manchester, won $66 million (annuity option) on Dec. 17, 1997. Ticket told at N-N Express in Manchester.
- PB 10 and PB 90 Trust of Lewiston, Maine, won $25 million (annuity option) on Jan. 3, 1998. Ticket sold at Stateline Store Center in Conway, N.H.
- Sidonia Trust of New York, N.Y., won $38 million (cash option) on Jan. 16, 1999. Ticket sold at Isinglass Country Store in Center Strafford, N.H.
- Pat and Erwin Wales of Bar Mills, Maine, won $41.4 million (cash option) on Aug. 27, 2001. Ticket sold at Cumberland Farms in Rollinsford, N.H.
- Nicholas and Carolyn Zayka of Bolton, Mas.s, won $42.9 million (cash option) on May 12, 2002. Ticket sold at P.K. Zylas Texaco in Weirs Beach, N.H.
- Aeetos Trust of North Conway, N.H., Rosemary Centola and Lawrence Centola of Watertown, Mass., who won $70 million (cash option) on Aug. 30, 2003. Ticket sold at State Line Store in Center Conway, N.H.
- The Bow Trust of Portland, Maine, won $46 million (cash option) on Feb. 4, 2004. Ticket sold at Gary's Beverage in Portsmouth, N.H.
- Dale Chellis and Toni Sergott of Lake Zurich, Ill., won $31.9 million on April 28, 2007. Ticket sold at Plymouth Liquor Store.
- Robin Egg 2016 Nominee Trust of Dover, N.H., won $341.7 million (cash option) on July 30, 2016. Ticket sold at Hannaford Supermarket, Raymond, N.H.
- Jane Doe $560 million (annuity), or $358.5 million (cash option), sold Jan. 6, 2018. Ticket sold at Reeds Ferry Market, Merrimack, N.H.
- Just as B4 Nominee Trust of 2019, Portsmouth, N.H., won $168 million Mega Millions jackpot on July 23, 2019. Ticket sold at the Brookside Market & Deli in Exeter. Winner chose one-time cash prize of $108.5 million.
(This post was updated Sept. 24, 2019 with information on the Mega Millions jackpot winner in Exeter.)