Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
Get entered to win tickets to Paul McCartney at Fenway June 8th with your gift today!
NH News

Labrie's Bail Restored, Will Be Out of Jail Within the Week

Jim Cole/AP
Owen Labrie, 21, was escorted out of the Merrimack County Superior Courtroom Monday after a Concord judge agreed to new bail conditions.

After nearly two months behind bars, the St. Paul’s School graduate convicted of having sex with a minor will be released from jail within the week.

On Monday Judge Larry Smukler restored bail for Owen Labrie, 21, after he revoked it in March because of broken curfews.  

While Labrie appeals his conviction to the New Hampshire Supreme Court, he will be required to stay at his mother’s home in Tunbridge, Vt. from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily.  He must also wear a tracking bracelet.

Last week the state’s highest court recommended that Labrie be released on bail, saying he seemed unlikely to re-offend. 

Labrie’s attorney, Jaye Rancourt, told Judge Smukler that Labrie's time in jail was “life changing” – stressing that he learned his lesson. 

“I can say that without hesitation, that two months of incarceration was a real eye opening experience to know that when you are given a benefit from a court, the benefit being that you are allowed your freedom, that you don’t take your freedom for granted,” Rancourt told the judge.

But prosecutor Catherine Ruffle argued that Labrie hasn’t yet learned his lesson.

“It’s the state’s position that nothing has changed since our previous hearing – the only thing that has changed is the defendant doesn’t like it in jail," Ruffle said in court.

Labrie's attorney said he plans to have a part-time job once he's released.  She would not specify what that job is, but said it involves manual labor. Rancourt did say that Labrie will not continue his online classes this semester.

In October Labrie was given a one year sentence for having sex with a 15-year-old freshman girl and fellow student at the Concord prep school.

Labrie is appealing on the grounds that he was poorly represented by his trial attorneys. If the conviction stands, he will have to finish the remainder of his one-year prison sentence. 

You make NHPR possible.

NHPR is nonprofit and independent. We rely on readers like you to support the local, national, and international coverage on this website. Your support makes this news available to everyone.

Give today. A monthly donation of $5 makes a real difference.