WebHeader_Grove.png
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Support NHPR with a year-end gift today for 2 chances to win a trip to Aruba!
News from everywhere *but* Central New Hampshire.

Former Claremont Police Officer Pleads Not Guilty To Allegedly Falsifying Documents

claremont.jpg

 

Former Claremont Police Officer Ian Kibbe appeared briefly in Sullivan County Superior Court in Newport Monday in connection with multiple charges relating to allegedly faking documents. 

 

State investigators say Kibbe lied in written reports to justify searching a property earlier this year. That charge has thrown into question much of his activity on the job, including a 2016 incident where he shot and killed 25-year-old Cody LaFont.

 

Kibbe said at the time that LaFont was threatening him with a gun, and the state attorney general’s office found his use of force justified. But the AG’s office is now re-reviewing that case. 

 

LaFont’s family was in court Monday to watch the proceedings. His grandfather, Doug Tessier, says he's never trusted the AG’s investigation of his grandson’s case. He says it seemed like police were trying to protect the officer, and raise questions about Cody's mental health. 

 

Kibbe pleaded not guilty to the charges. He has another court date later this month.

You make NHPR possible.

NHPR is nonprofit and independent. We rely on readers like you to support the local, national, and international coverage on this website. Your support makes this news available to everyone.

Give today. A monthly donation of $5 makes a real difference.