This is where you'll find all the new & noteworthy books you hear about on Morning Edition, Fresh Air, All Things Considered and weekend programming. Look for the I Read It On NHPR display at Gibson's Bookstore, 45 S. Main Street, Concord NH
Word Of Mouth 11.09.2013
Enjoying the Saturday edition of Word of Mouth is like sipping a hot cup of cocoa on a crisp fall day. Rest assured, this is an indulgent cup of public radio goodness, topped with the whipped cream and sprinkles you've come to expect from the WoM team. So why not take a break from raking those leaves for an hour and curl up with us. On this week's show:
- Schottenfreude: Need a word to describe your feelings? Perhaps the German language can lend a hand. Ben Schott joins us to share a few new words that borrow from German to add to your lexicon.
- Are You Cool? Dan Kois talks about Slate's month long series that investigates what cool is and where the term comes from.
- WEB BONUS: Virginia's cool quiz with Dan Kois.
- Bill Ayers: In his new memoir, Public Enemy: Confessions of an American Dissident, Ayers owns up to his activities as an “unrepentant terrorist,” and writes about being the target of multi-million dollar campaign to demonize him.
- Do You Believe In The Existence of Pure Evil? According to a 2007 Gallup poll, 70% of Americans believe in Satan, a number that has risen over the years. Piercarlo Valdesolo talks about his article, “The Psychological Power of Satan.”