State Authorities Helping in Investigation of Alleged Race-Based Attack in Claremont
Gov. Chris Sununu has asked the state Attorney General's office to help police in Claremont with the investigation of an alleged attack against a biracial boy in the city, according to a statement released by the governor's office Tuesday.
News broke last week that a group of teenagers allegedly threw sticks and rocks at the boy before tying a rope around his neck and pushing him off a picnic table. His mother posted a photo to Facebook showing cuts and bruises on his neck, writing that he was flown to the hospital but survived.
Since then, many across the state have called for more information from law enforcement and an aggressive community response.
Few details have been released about the alleged attack and police investigation. Because the incident involves juveniles, city and law enforcement officials say they’re limited in what information they're able to discuss.
Local residents are organizing a public event Tuesday at a city park downtown. City and faith leaders are expected speak.
In a statement, Sununu said he’s asked for regular updates on how the investigation is proceeding.
“Hatred and bigotry will not be tolerated in New Hampshire,” he said.