DJ Sessions: A Soundtrack From The Great Depression
For this week’s DJ Session, Here & Now‘s Jeremy Hobson speaks with Dewey Gill, who hosts “The Sunday Big Band Show” on WMSE in Milwaukee. Gill shares music that was popular during the Great Depression, including a song about raising the rent, and another about World War I veterans suffering through economic troubles.
Note: We have a Spotify playlist for our weekly DJ Sessions segment! The playlist is updated each week with new songs. Spotify is free to use, but requires a login.
Songs In This Segment
- “Are You Makin’ Any Money” by Paul Whiteman and his orchestra, featuring Ramona Davies.
- “Raisin The Rent” Paul Whiteman and his orchestra, featuring Ramona Davies.
- “Remember My Forgotten Man” by George Hall and the Hotel Taft Orchestra.
- “White Heat” by Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.
- “Panhandle Shuffle” by Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.
- “We’re In The Money” by the Gold Diggers, performed by Henry Red Allen.
- Dewey Gill, host of The Sunday Big Band show on WMSE
Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.