Boy Scouts And Its N.H. Division Accused of Failing to Stop Sex Abuse

May 21, 2019

 

Six former scouts have sued the Boy Scouts of America and its New Hampshire division, alleging that the groups failed to protect them from sexual abuse by an ex-scoutmaster who was sentenced to prison last year for assaulting scouts decades ago.

The Rockingham Superior Court lawsuit alleges that the organizations were aware of reports of prior allegations against Eugene Perreault, yet they didn't properly supervise or investigate him.

Perreault pleaded guilty last year to sexually assaulting four scouts in the 1990s and early 2000s. He received a 12-to-30-year sentence. The "John Doe" plaintiffs allege abuse during the same period. They seek unspecified damages.

Daniel Webster Council President Steve Curry said in a statement the behavior outlined in the allegations is "abhorrent." He said the council adopted background checks and procedures to ensure member safety.