© 2024 New Hampshire Public Radio

Persons with disabilities who need assistance accessing NHPR's FCC public files, please contact us at publicfile@nhpr.org.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Purchase your tickets for a chance to win $35k toward a new car or $25k in cash during NHPR's Summer Raffle!

UPDATED: Student In Philadelphia School Shooting Surrenders

Update at 4:10 p.m. ET. Student Surrenders:

A 17-year-old suspected in a shooting that injured two students at a Philadelphia school has turned himself over to police.

Philly.com reports:

"Police around noon Saturday said the District Attorney's Office approved aggravated assault charges against the teen. Prosecutors did not approve charges against another teen, who turned himself into police for questioning Friday night. He has since been released, investigators said."

Our Original Post Continues:

Philadelphia police are still looking for a student they believe was involved in a school shooting that left two fellow students wounded on Friday.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports:

"One of the victims, a girl who was shot through the arm, was treated at Einstein Medical Center, just blocks away from Delaware Valley Charter High School, where the shooting occurred. She was released from the hospital later in the day.

"The second victim, her boyfriend, was struck by the same bullet, which lodged in his shoulder, police said. He remained at the hospital Friday night."

The Inquirer reports that two other students had been questioned by police and they were seeking a third student. An unnamed, "high-ranking law enforcement source" told the paper that they believe the shooting was accidental — that it happened while the students played with the gun.

NBC Philadelphia reports that parents rushed to the school after they heard the news.

"A school is supposed to be a safe environment. Are you kidding me? Two kids just got shot," one parent told the station. "How was a child, or whoever, [able to] bring a gun up in the school?"

USA Today reports that after gun went off, the school was placed on lockdown and "the 600 students were searched and released individually."

This news, of course, comes just days after a 12-year-old student opened fire at a Roswell, N.M., school, wounding two fellow students.

Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.

Eyder Peralta is NPR's East Africa correspondent based in Nairobi, Kenya.

You make NHPR possible.

NHPR is nonprofit and independent. We rely on readers like you to support the local, national, and international coverage on this website. Your support makes this news available to everyone.

Give today. A monthly donation of $5 makes a real difference.