WebHeader_Grove.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Make a gift to NHPR and have a Valentine's message to a loved one read on air!
NH News

Emergency Shelter Opens in Keene After Gas Problems

The Red Cross and the city of Keene are opening a shelter Saturday night at the Keene Recreational Center because of gas outages throughout the city.  

The problems began this morning when Liberty Utilities warned customers of possible gas odors and elevated carbon monoxide levels in their homes after a power problem at its Keene plant.

The utility company reports that at 9 a.m. Saturday its propane production plant in Keene "experienced an issue" that affected the propane/air mixture flowing into its distribution system.  According to Liberty Utilities, the mixture can potentially produce carbon monoxide at the gas appliance or burner tip in a home or business.

Liberty Utilities says customers should be aware of gas odors and signs of carbon monoxide poisoning  and call 911 if they suspect high levels in their homes.