School Security: Finding The Right Balance
A recent stabbing incident, which injured more than twenty-students at a Pennsylvania school, has once again reminded us that violence can occur in any district and in any form. And schools in New Hampshire are taking note, continually adjusting their safety plans. We’re finding out how this discussion continues to evolve.
- Ellen Cohn – psychology professor and coordinator of the Justice Studies Program at the University of New Hampshire.
- Kevin Hamilton – retired state trooper and head of the Campton School Board’s Safety Committee.
- Debra Livingston – superintendent of the Manchester School District and former superintendent of the Walpole district, where a student shot himself at school in 2012.
- CDC statistics on school violence, 1992-2010: doesn't show a significant trend
- Slate put together a chart of school shootings since 1980: shows more big spikes over time
- FBI data on active shooter events