N.H. Delegation, Sununu Urge Trump to Continue Opioid-Related Funds in Budget Proposal

Mar 7, 2019

Under the state's new Doorway system, there are now nine walk-in centers for addiction care across the state.
Credit Sara Plourde / New Hampshire Public Radio

Governor Chris Sununu and New Hampshire's congressional delegation are urging the Trump administration to prioritize opioid-related funding to states in the president's upcoming budget proposal.

New Hampshire is currently receiving tens of millions of dollars in federal funds through a State Opioid Response (SOR) grant, aimed at addressing the ongoing drug crisis.

The SOR program began under the Obama administration, but Congress allocated significantly more money to the effort last year.

In New Hampshire, the funds are now backing an all-hours hotline and system of walk-in addiction centers across the state, which offer evaluation and referral services. This program, called the Doorway, launched Jan. 1.

The current SOR allocation expires this fall.

New Hampshire's congressional delegation, instrumental in negotiating the increase last year, sent a letter to the president this week lobbying him to maintain existing levels.

Sununu added his voice to the effort Thursday with his own letter to the Department of Health and Human Services.

The Doorway’s future operations are not contingent on renewal of the SOR grant, said Ben Vehstadt, a spokesperson with the governor’s office. But additional funds would be used to expand the program and develop more prevention and community-based efforts, he said.