Today's Word of Mouth broadcast delves into the hows of character creation. Then we speak to the creator of everyone's favorite chat feature. You know, the one that says "So-and-So is typing." (Thankfully he doesn't leave you hanging on those three little dots...) We leave acting and writing for a musical treat with the band Pearl and the Beard. Finally, it's all about the cute with the author of a new book about interspecies relationships.
Listen to the full show, and click Read More for more on each segment.
Anatomy of an Actor
- We go beyond the glam for an exploration the mysterious art of how actors create characters. Philip Maciak wrote about the Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep editions of Anatomy of an Actor. He joins Virginia to talk about the craft of creating characters.
- To hear the many accents of Meryl Streep, click here.
"So-And-So Is Typing"
- David Auerbach wrote “I Built that ‘So-and-So is Typing’ Feature in Chat…and I’m Not Sorry” for Slate.com. He developed the typing indicator now used on everything from GChat to the iPhone. A software engineer and critic, David writes the weekly Bitwise column for Slate on technology.
- Have a something to say about the 'so-and-so is typing' feature? Share it on our Twitter and Facebook pages.
Pearl and the Beard
- For the last three years, Pearl and the Beard has been working on a new album while touring the country extensively, crafting a high energy live show which will be making its way through Concord tomorrow night at the Capitol Center for the Arts. Producer Zach Nugent spoke with Pearl and the Beard’s Jocelyn Mackenzie, Emily Hope Price, and Jeremy Styles and asked for their best ‘stories from the road.’
- Love is in the air on Word of Mouth today… which is not confined to human love. Master dog trainer David Latimer once said “animals other than humans love unconditionally. Put your spouse and your dog in the trunk of your car for three hours and see which one is happy to see you when you let them out.” It’s with that quote our guest Jennifer Holland begins her new book Unlikely Loves, a collection of exceptionally cute photos and stories of friendships between two different species of animals.
- Check out an abundance of cuteness from the internet here.