0000017a-15d9-d736-a57f-17ff8cdb0000 This blog features news and updates about NHPR events, staff, and fund drives. Also, a behind-the-scenes view of life at NHPR!
Top Stories: Senate and House Divisions Crystalize Over Abortions, Shunned (Working Title)
A roundup of the top-ten most-read stories on nhpr.org and StateImpact - NH website.
- NH News: Senate and House Divisions Crystalize over Abortion Bills All eyes were on the State Senate, where lawmakers voted down a bevy of bills that would regulate abortion and allow employers to opt out of covering contraception.
- Word of Mouth: Shunned (Working Title) A new TV show being shopped by No Regrets Entertainment, tentatively titled Shunned, aims to follow four ex- Ultra-Orthodox Jews from New York City who’ve left the faith for the sin-filled, secular life.
- NH News: Concord Nonprofit Banking on Trailer Parks Millions of Americans live in these communities nationwide. Where most people see little of value, the Concord-based ROC USA sees hope.
- Word of Mouth: Are There Really Baby Geniuses? Every parent hopes to foster a healthy and safe environment for bright and gifted babies… but no amount of exposure to classical music, sign language, or Baby Einstein videos can guarantee your kid will be a genius on the level of Heidi Hankins.
- The Exchange: Boys Left Behind (rebroadcast) The statistics are startling: Girls have been surging ahead academically from the elementary years right on up through Graduate School while boys seem to be falling behind and are becoming disengaged from learning at an early age. We take a look at the latest thinking on this subject and whether the picture is as dire as it’s often presented.
- North Country: MIT Professor: Natural Gas Prices Not Likely To Make Hydro-Quebec Reconsider Northern Pass The extremely low prices for natural gas – which can be used to generate electricity - have some opponents of Northern Pass wondering whether Hydro-Quebec might reconsider the project. But a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology says that’s unlikely.
- Word of Mouth: It's a bird, it's a plane... it's a drone? Ever get the feeling that someone is watching you? Well, you may want to get used to it. While the US government has been putting un-manned drones to heavy use in war zones in recent years, the flying robots will soon be soaring American skies.
- North Country: A North Country Tourism Program Looks For Funds Tourism is seen as one of the economic underpinnings of the North Country. But a highly touted program designed to boost tourism is running low on funds while facing a tricky question: After spending about $1 million was it successful?
- NH News: Trout Stocking Feels Spring Heat A fishing license in New Hampshire goes for $35. That money helps fund the State’s six fish hatcheries, where the vast majority of trout that anglers reel in are raised.
- Arts & Culture: The White Mountain Painters A new exhibit at the Edwards Art Gallery at the Holderness School features 19th Century landscapes of the Lakes Region, Pemigewasset Valley, Franconia Notch, and the North Country.