DHHS Commissioner: Fed Will Allow N.H. To Expand Medicaid Program
New Hampshire's health and human services commissioner says he is confident that the federal government will allow the state's expanded Medicaid program to proceed as planned.
The state is awaiting federal approval for a waiver needed to continue the plan passed by the Legislature last year. That plan calls for using federal Medicaid funds to buy private health coverage for adults making less than 138 percent of the federal poverty limit — about $15,856 a year for a single adult.
More than 34,000 people have signed up under the expanded program since July 1. Commissioner Nick Toumpas told the Health Exchange Advisory Board last week that a significant number of them were previously uninsured.